For leftover turkey, a great dish to make is turkey pot pie. It goes like this:
- 3 large carrots, chopped 1/2″ cubes
- 3 celery sticks (ribs removed) and cut into 1/2 ” cubes
- 1 whole onion, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/3 cup butter,
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 6 oz. frozen green peas
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
In saucepan, sweat onions, carrots and celery (about 8 minutes), add flour, salt, pepper, seasoning. Stir to coat all vegetables. (important)
Now add: 2 cups chicken broth (1/2 cup at a time),
- 3/4 cup milk,
- 2 instant chicken bouillion cubes.
Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook 2 minutes more. Now stir in the frozen peas.
Stir in 3-4 cups cubed turkey and cook a further 2 minutes. Turn mixture into 6 individual casserole dishes, top with a square of pastry. Cut slit in middle and bake at 375 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. You can wait until they are completely cool and wrap with tin foil to freeze. Great quick supper when needed.
* For a different approach, use puff pastry for the topping. OMG! Yummy.
Taste Rating: 9.7