I just had a request for this recipe so here it is. I have never wanted to try pulled pork because of all the fat, but Don trimmed a lot of it off. Try this and you totally melt.
Preheat oven to 290 degrees. This is not a mistake
- 1 3-4 lb. pork shoulder roast, bone in. If roast has string on it, cut it off before proceeding.
- Base: 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
Place vegetables on bottom of roasting pan and roast on top. Now make the sauce.
- 1 bottle regular flavour BBQ sauce (or your own family recipe)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup water
Stir this together until well mixed and pour over roast. Tightly cover with tin foil and bake in the oven for 6 1/2 hours.
Pulling the pork:
Take roast out of the oven and place on a cookie sheet. Using two forks, shred the meat into stringy pieces. Strain the vegetables and bring the juice to a boil, simmering until thickened. Add the shredded pork and and stir to incorporate the sauce.
Take kaiser buns, cut in half and toast lightly. Pile the pork onto the bottom half of the bun and top with shredded coleslaw.
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
Sorry for the cheat here: Bottled coleslaw dressing. Top with the other half bun and thoroughly enjoy. You will want it again and again.
**we prefer to use Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue sauce