This recipe will serve 8 and could be made the day before the dinner.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, cut lengthwise into 1/8â€ slices
- 1 tsp salt plus a pinch for the mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 1 lb white button mushrooms
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Brush a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with olive oil. Arrange one third of the potatoes in the dish, slightly overlapping. Sprinkle with a little of the salt. Pour about one third of the whipping cream over the top and about one quarter of the cheese. Repeat layering as above three more times. Bake uncovered for about forty to forty-five minutes. Adding more cream, if necessary, to keep moist.
Slice mushrooms and toss with remaining oil and layer over the top of the potatoes, around the edges. Drizzle one quarter cup of cream over top of the mushrooms and one-quarter cup of cheese.
Continue to bake another twenty minutes until potato edges are golden.
To make ahead: Make as above. Cool one hour, then cover and place in fridge. Before serving, cut into serving portions, place on a cookie sheet, cover with foil and heat in a 350 degree oven for about fifteen to twenty minutes. For a fancier presentation, use large cookie cutters in any “cut” you want.
This is yummy, yummy, yummy.