The sun is beaming, the clouds are scarce and it is time to eat. Well, set the table on the deck/patio and get ready to enjoy the coolest gazpacho you have ever had. Play on words? Perhaps…..
- 3 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (blackberries would be a good choice, as well)
- 20 oz. unsweetened frozen raspberries, thawed
- 3 tbsp. berry sugar
- 2 cups sparkling water, lime flavoured (try Costco’s Sparkling Ice lime flavoured water)
- 5 kiwi fruit, peeled
- 2 1/2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 cup finely diced honeydew melon (to match the colour of the kiwi)
- 1 cup finely diced watermelon, seeds removed *
- Zest from 1 large lime
Blend the raspberries and sugar until smooth. Strain through a sieve to catch all the seeds. Lightly press through the sieve making sure not to break the seeds up. Pour into a large bowl and add the sparkling water. Stir to blend well. Cover and place in the fridge while you continue on.
Process the peeled kiwis (remove the centre white ‘core’) and lime juice in the blender and puree until smooth.
Set out 6 pretty soup bowls and pour equal amounts of the raspberry puree into the bowls. Now, here’s the fun. CAREFULLY pour eual amounts of the kiwi puree into the CENTER of the raspberry puree.
Sprinkle the honeydew melon pieces on the raspberry puree and the watermelon over the kiwi. Scatter a little bit of the lime zest on top.
Make sure the purees are cold and the soup bowls are thoroughly chilled.
*I much prefer the gold kiwi and this would really work with the blackberries as far as flavour and contrast would be. The gold kiwi are not as tart or sometimes even bitter as the green kiwi.
If you can get the yellow watermelon absolutely go for it. They have much more flavour, are a bit sweeter taste and oh, so good. Your taste. Your choice.