This is an easy dish to make and it can be made the day before. There you go, another entertaining tip for the busy hostess.
This will serve 8 lucky people.
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup peeled and chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper, seeds removed and skinned
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. fresh lobster, meat removed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 8 cups 1 inch bread cubes, crusts removed from French bread
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Butter 10 inch round cake pan with 2 inch high sides. Whisk together the eggs and cream in a medium bowl to completely blend.
Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the onion and celery, cooking for about 6-7 minutes until soft. Remove from heat.
Add the peppers and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the thyme and parsley. Transfer all this to a large bowl and add the lobster and bread mixture, folding to combine.
Add the egg mixture, salt and pepper and stir until well mixed. Transfer to the baking dish and let stand for 30 minutes or, if making ahead, cover and refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle the strata with cheese. Bake until brown and puffed (about 60-65 minutes). Cool on a rack for half an hour . You may find the center will fall a little.
Use a sharp knife, run around the outside edge to loosen and cut into wedges. Serve with a chilled green salad and warm roll. Voila! You did it again.
Now, go get the glasses and wine. Nothing else required.