This is tasty, tasty, tasty. I am sure it will become your new “favourite chowder” of all time.
- 4 tbsp. room temperature butter
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large red peppers, roasted, seeded and chopped
- 2 x 15 oz. cans creamed corn
- 3 corn on cob, roasted, kernals removed
- 2 x 14 oz. containers of chicken broth
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp. sugar
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
- 5 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
Mix together the flour and butter in a small bowl and set aside.
Finely chop the onion and celery in a processor. Melt 2 tbsp. of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion-celery mixture and the peppers, saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
Add the creamed corn, freshly roasted corn kernals, broth, cream, sugar and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Whisk in the flour-butter mixture and simmer for 12-15 minutes to blend all the flavours.
Add the shrimp and 3 tbsp. of the chopped cilantro and simmer until the shrimp are cooked through (about 5 minutes longer. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Ladle into large soup bowls, sprinkle the remaining cilantro and chopped crisp bacon.
Only thing needed now is a glass of chilled white wine. YUM!