It takes a little practice to get it perfect…maybe some of these tips will help you if you have never made them before.
1. Believe it or not, check the weather…you cannot make meringues if it is humid outside. Hopefully you have an air conditioner if it is.
2. Make sure to leave eggs out of the fridge for at least 1/2 hour. Egg whites should be at room temperature.
3. Make sure your equipment is free of grease, and use only glass or metal bowls, not plastic.
4. For a smooth meringue, beat about 2 tbsp. of sugar for each egg white. Beat whites only to soft peaks BEFORE adding sugar. Add the sugar about 2 tbsp. at a time so it will dissolve.
5. To tell if you got it right, rub a little of the foam between your fingers. If it feels a little gritty, keep beating and then re-test.
Making meringues is not a major undertaking, but if you follow these suggestions, they should be perfect.