Ladies and Gents, this will put you on the top of the list for sure. The last time I had gazpacho was at the Jasper Park Lodge and they don’t even come close. THIS is awesome. Yes, I know, you think you don’t like cold soups…uhuh…you will.
- 3 large red peppers, roasted, skin and seeds removed
- 1 28 0z. can and
- 1 14 0z. can roma tomatoes with juice
- 1 14 oz, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. good quality olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (seeds removed)
- 1/2 fennel bulb (white only)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 lemon thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 sprig oregano, finely chopped
- 10-12 small basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 english cucumber, skin removed and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
In a large saucepan, add the olive oil. Saute the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, fennel and jalapeno pepper until soft. Add pinch of salt and pepper (first layer).
When soft, add the chicken broth, tomatoes and herbs and cook for 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
Add the chopped cucumber, Worchestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Using a boat blender (or regular blender done in batches), blend until smooth.
Taste again, add salt and pepper to taste (2nd layer). Cover and put in refrigerator, chilling until cold.
Place 2 slices of cucumber in center of soup when serving in your prettiest bowl..
YUMMMMMY. Yes, this is served cold and is fabulous.