Before the last of the corn is gone, get some more and make this soup. You will be sorry if you miss out.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, veins stripped and sliced thinly
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut from the cob (reserve the cobs)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- pinch of salt and pepper
- freshly popped and seasoned popcorn, for garnish
In a pot, melt the butter and add the onion, celery and garlic. Season lightly with the salt and pepper and cook until the onions are translucent (about 5-6 minutes). Add the stock, kernels, corncobs and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and add the milk, simmer for 15 minutes and add the cream. Stir to mix and remove from the heat.
Cool slightly, and remove and discard the cobs. Puree the soup in small batches until silky smooth. With a fine strainer, strain the soup into a large bowl, pressing hard to extract all the liquid possible.
Season with the following:
- Pinch of sweet smoky paprika
- pinch of cayenne powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 lb. crab leg meat (no shell)
Toss the hot popcorn with the spices. Pour the soup into bowls, garnish with the poporn and add some crab leg meat on top.
Serve with Road 13 Chardonnay. Perfect match.