This is an exotic addition to any cheese plate. Great party fare!
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tbsp. chopped shallots
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. chopped crystallized ginger (be sure to spray your scissors with Pam)
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- pinch of red pepper flakes (crushed)
- generous pinch of ground cloves and salt
- 18 pitted dates, halved lengthwise and then crosswise
- 12 kumquats, sliced and seeded
- 2 tbsp. chopped, fresh cilantro
Combine all the ingredients up but not including the dates etc. in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add the fruit and simmer 1 more minute. Chutney thickens when chilled.
Season with the salt and pepper and stir in the cilantro. Chill until really cold (not covered). Now cover and keep chilled until serving. This could be made a about 6 hours ahead of the party and give you more time to finish your preparations.