This will make a great side dish for chicken or a quick appetizer while conversing with friends.
To serve 6, you will need:
- 3 medium, firm and cored tomatoes, cut in half crosswise
- 1/4 cup pesto (homemade or purchased)
- 6 super thin sliced onion slices
- 1/2 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
With a spoon, scoop out 1/4 inch of the tomato halves. Top each tomato half with 2 tsp. of the pesto sauce and an onion slice. Arrange on foil pie plates.
On the barbecue at a medium-high temperature, place plans on the grill and close the cover for about 8 mins. just until they are heated through but not mushy.
In a small bowl, mix together the almonds, cheese and parsley. Sprinkle the mixture over the tomatoes and grill for about 5 more minutes until the cheese has melted.