Believe it or not Easter is earlier this year and this is a nice potato dish to serve as a side with your ham. Especially if you are having family coming home it is always great to showcase a new dish.
- Butter, room temperature for baking dish
- 2 1/2-3 lbs. fingerling potatoes, cut on the bias and then 1/2 thick slices
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 oz. bacon, chopped in 1 inch pieces,
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (Sav. Blanc.)
- 14-15 oz. Provolone cheese cut into 1/4 inch thick pieces
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter bottom and sides of a 2 quart casserole.
Cover the potatoes in a large saucepan of water, bring to the boil and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
Cook the bacon until crisp and remove to a plate. Save 1 tbsp. of the bacon fat to cook the onion in until it becomes caramelized (14-15 minutes). Add the wine and cook until reduced which should take about 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon. Remove from the heat.
Arrange one half of the potatoes in the casserole, add one half of the bacon and one half of the cheese, spreading quite evenly. Repeat with the second layer of potatoes , adding the bacon and cheese on top.
Bake now until the cheese is bubbling (25 minutes approximately). Serve with this sliced ham, salad, rolls.
Wow! My mouth is watering already. Come on family…..it will be good.