Summer is now officially gone and our beautiful Autumn Days are upon us. This is a terrific chowder to make and savour.
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 medium onion, grated
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots (use the rainbow carrots if you can)
- 1/2 cup celery (peeled) sliced thin
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 16 oz. can tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups McLarens Cheddar cheese (red bowl)
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
In a saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat. Stir in the vegetables and simmer until they are tender.
Add the milk, cream, Worcestershire sauce and bouillon cubes. Simmer this now for about 35 minutes over a low temperature.
Stir in the cheese and parsley, When melted season with salt and pepper
If you have small pumpkin shaped soup bowls they would be perfect. As most of us don’t, use a pretty soup bowl and top with a cheese tuile.**
It is okay as your guests will probably lick the bowls. It really is a yummy chowder.
** On a parchment lined baking sheet, grate cheddar cheese and in small amounts, mound about 3 inches apart, bake until completely melted and smelling wonderful. Remove from the oven,. let cool completely and carefully peel off the paper. ooooooohhhhh!