We have had this sitting in our recipe box now for over 30 years and I thought it might be a giggle to make it up again. It was delicious back then and should be even more so now. Let’s go!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 4 cans (10 1/2 oz. size), undiluted condensed beef broth
- 6 slices, French bread, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 tbsp. grated Asiago cheese
In a large skillet, sauté the onions in the butter until a light golden but not burned. This should take about 8 minutes.
Place the bread slices under the broiler, toasting both sides. Sprinkle each slice with the grated cheeses, dividing equally..
Add the onions to the broth, making sure to combine well. Heat well and pour equally into the soup bowls. Add a toast on top of each bowl. Place under the broiler just until the cheeses have melted (Serves 6). Add a beautiful salad and you have a light meal.