- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour, sift first, then measure.
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp. red food colouring
- 1 tsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350F.
Sift the flour, adding cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Whisk buttermilk, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla in a small bowl to blend.
Using a mixer, beat sugar and butter mixture in a large bowl until well blended and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk mixture, finishing with flour.
Divide batter between 2 8-inch round pans. Bake approximately 27-30 minutes. Cool on rack for 10 minutes and turn cakes out, cooling completely.
Cream Cheese Buttercream Icing
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted icing sugar
In a large bowl cream all the ingredients except for the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sifted icing sugar and beat to a spreading consistency.
This is one of the better cake recipes for company. It is perfect.
Taste Rating: 9.5
1 thought on “Red Velvet Cake”
This cake is good…but not only is it good; it’s sinfully decadent and delicious. It’s fabulous for dessert and if youâ€™re lucky enough to have leftovers, it’s great for breakfast as well.