If you have never tried Jicama before, the next time you go to the market, buy one. Take it home and try this recipe. You may never make a salad again without it.
- 1 small Jicama, peeled and finely julienned
- 1/4 head red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1/4 head green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely julienned
- 1 large red (or orange) pepper, seeded and finely sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. mint, finely chopped
- 1 large gala apple, peeled, cored and finely julienned
Toss all the vegetables together in a bowl, cover and refrigerate at least one hour – preferrably over night.
Whisk together the olive oil, rice wine vinegar, lime juice and honey. Add the salt, pepper, chili powder and flakes and combine well.
Pour over the vegetable mixture and add the cilantro and mint (if you want it) and the apple. Toss well to mix. Let sit for about 15 minutes, tossing a couple of time to marinate.