When you next visit your local meat market, look over the different brat links they have. Pick your 6 favourite and head home to start the barbecue.
- 6 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 1/2 cups white cranberry juice
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 3 tbsp. sliced green onions
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 6 buns, split and toasted (to fit the brats you purchased)
In a large pot, combine the brats and juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 10-12 minutes, rearranging just one time. The internal temperature should reach 160 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
In a medium bowl combine the cabbage, berries, and onion. Stir together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, parsley, dill, garlic, salt and pepper and add to the cabbage. Toss gently to coat.
Now that the barbecue has reached a medium heat, place the brats directly on the grill. cooking for about 7 minutes, until browned, turning as you cook.
Serve in toasted buns and top with the slaw. How’s that for a different meal? Oh yeah! fun in the summertime.