We just picked up some beautiful trout and thought this was perfect with the temperature being so nice and warm, deck set up, salad chilling in the fridge….here we go…..oh yeah! wine in the glass.
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in half
- 3/4 lb. mushrooms, brushed clean, stems removed
- 3 tbsp. oil, plus more for drizzling
- 4 trout fillets, 5 oz. each and about 3/4 inch thick
Preheat barbecue to a medium high temperature. Stir together the soy sauce, lime juice, sugar and ginger in a small bowl until the sugar dissolves.
In a high sided skillet, toss the asparagus and mushrooms in the oil, and season lightly with salt and lemon pepper. Cook in the barbecue for about 5 minutes, until the asparagus is crisp-tender. Add the soy sauce, (keeping some for the trout), stir all to coat and cook a further 3 minutes.
Sprinkle the fillets with a touch of salt, rub with oil and dip into the soy sauce (if any remaining) and set on the barbecue. Cook only to a medium doneness.
Hint: do not try to move the fillets before they have released on their own, and when you can move them. Otherwise, you could lose them (break up).