Spring is almost here ( at least it has warmed up in most of our Country) and everyone is dusting off the barbecue. This will be a great start to the season. Oh yeah…keep the fire extinguisher handy for your mouth…it is a HOT relish.
Hot Pepper Relish
- 1 cup bell pepper (any colour), seeded and cut into strips
- 1 cup Banana pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 cup Habanero peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- few drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup Vidalia onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
Combine all ingredients in a large heavy bottom saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for about 15-20 minutes until desired consistency. Stir often so it doesn’t burn on the bottom. Remove from heat and cool down to room temperature. Pour into a sealable canning jar and refrigerate.
This will keep for about 3-4 weeks. Make this ahead of the day you want to barbecue.
Rib Eye Steaks
- 2 rib-eye steaks about 1 inch thick * Could have left-overs or cut in half and serve 4
- olive oil for brushing on the steaks
- Hot Pepper relish
- 1-2 avocados, peeled and cut into a small dice
- bowl of baby potatoes, cooked and kept warm
Remove steaks from the refrigerator at least 60 minutes before cooking. Lightly oil steaks and place on a medium-high barbecue. After 3-4 minutes, turn the steaks over (5 minutes if cooking to medium rare).
Transfer the meat to a cutting board to rest. Prepare the avocado. Place the steaks on 2 pre-warmed plates and top with the relish and avocado. Serve with the new potatoes. Optional”: Sour cream to cool down the heat on the relish.