Sometimes children are quite ‘fussy’ about what they eat. This is a “I love this” meal kids say each and every time they consume it.
Try it and you will see. The one major difference is a much lighter recipe for wee tummies and by using different shaped macaroni, adding some chili to the recipe is a win-win day for you.
- 1 1/2 lb. extra lean hamburger
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, strings removed and discarded, ribs chopped
- 2 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, minced
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- pinch of pepper
- 1 28z. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 19 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- 4 cups assorted shaped pasta
- Sour Cream, grated cheese if they like it
In a large saucepan brown the beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Remove the liquid with a baster. Saute the onions then add the celery, carrots, garlic, cumin, thyme and pepper, cooking until the carrots become softer (about 7-9 minutes).
Now stir in all the tomatoes, kidney beans, sugar, Worchestershire sauce and beef. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes until the celery becomes tender.
Cook the pasta according to the directions. Drain well and add to the chili mix. Stir until combined.
Serve it with some grated cheese on top and if they like sour cream, add a dollop.