Now THIS is different. With the use of dark rum and fig balsamic vinegar, it is refreshing and really neat – both in ingredients and flavours.
- 2 navel oranges
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fig balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. dark rum (in the salad, not you)
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 oz. argula, washed and dried
- 1 oz. cilantro leaves, washed and dried
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced, brushed with some lime juice so they don’t turn brown.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
Use a sharp knife to remove the skin and white pith from the oranges. Over a small bowl to catch the juices, slice the oranges in 1/8 inch rounds.
In a small bowl combine 1 tbsp. of the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and rum. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the arugula and cilantro, toss with about half of the dressing. Arrange the orange rounds and avocado slices on top of the greens, and lightly drizzle the remaining dressing over the orange slices. Sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the salad. Serve.
Voila! Again, you gave a spectacular presentation to the lowly salad and came away looking like a rock star. Good for you.