Normally Paella is made with seafood but, with Spring just around the corner, this is something we can make and really enjoy. Serve with fish, chicken or barbecued ribs.
This will serve 7-8 people
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into wedges
- 8 oz. baby carrots, scrubbed and trimmed
- 8 oz. red skinned baby potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. saffron threads
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 1/4 cups Arborio rice, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 14 oz. garbanzo beans, rinsed
- grated zest from 2 limes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss the squash, carrots, potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast until all are tender and browning around the edges. This should take about 30-35 minutes.
Combine the parsley and garlic in a small bowl and stir in the paprika, saffron and set aside.
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sautÃ© until soft. Add the tomatoes, rice and parsley mixture. Stir in the broth.
Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the asparagus and beans and heat through. Add the roasted vegetables. Season to taste.
Transfer to a large platter and sprinkle with the lime zest and some of the juice from the limes.