It is that time again (and in some parts of Canada all year long) to brush off the bbq and get ready. This will really awaken your taste buds and you will wonder why you haven’t eaten this one more often. Well now you can.
- 3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs. trout, skin removed, cut into large chunks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tbsp. canola oil (if needed for frypan)
- 6 Brioche buns, toasted
- 2 ripe avocados, thinly sliced for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups mixed greens
To make the trout burgers, start by mixing the herbs together with the brown sugar, salt and pepper and set aside.
In a mixer with a steel blade attached, pulse the trout only until finely chopped.
Transfer to a bowl and mix in the panko crumbs and oil. Divide into 6 equal sized portions and shape into burgers. Season both sides with the seasoning mix and set aside.
As these burgers are on the fragile side, be REALLY careful on the grill or maybe place in a cast iron frypan that has the oil in it. Cook about 4 minutes each side, flipping only one time.
To assemble, make the herb spread first.
- 8 oz. room temperature cream cheese
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Mix this all together until smooth. Now continue on by spreading the bottom of each toasted bun with this and add the burgers on top. Now, with the top bun set the avocado slices and some greens. Put them together, serve with either French fries or a fresh, chilled salad and, of course, a glass of chilled white wine.
It doesn’t get any better than this, Enjoy!