A friend of ours makes her own granola by the bucketful each week and with that in mind, here is my version of granola and then using it in a parfait for breakfast…either for you and yours or visiting company. You have to be careful though, if you make these meals too tasty, they may never leave.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (no outer shell)
- 1/4 cup salted cashews
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup dried mango or papaya
- 1 container either vanilla yogurt or flavour of your choice
- A few fresh berries for garnish
Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Combine all the ingredients up to the dried fruit and mix well. Spread out on a large parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake 25 minutes, stirring every 5-7 minutes to ensure even browning and crunchiness. Remove from the oven and add the dried fruit. Cool to room temperature and store in airtight container.
Now for the fun…in decorative glasses (wine glasses are great), add a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt and a layer of granola, then repeat layers three or four times, finishing with yogurt. Top with a fanned strawberry or a couple of blackberries.
Wow….easy, healthy and super tasty. All that is needed now is a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Our parfaits were a favourite when we had our Bed and Breakfst.